Monday, August 4, 2014

It’s a dry heat….Pitter-patter. Pitter-patter.

It’s a dry heat….Pitter-patter. Pitter-patter.

Is my Las Vegas Home properly insured against flood damage?
Las Vegas storm clouds roll in 8/4/2014
That’s the sound of rain as it hits the patio furniture. Summer must be in full swing (July through September are our wet months.) And as the pace of pitter-patter increases, I realize this passing storm cloud is going to be hanging around a while. I can actually turn off the AC, open the windows and enjoy a great night’s sleep as the fresh summer air fills my home Las Vegas home.


It rained most of the night (where I live). With the morning sunrise, came a newness in the heavy air (after all Las Vegas is a dry heat, we aren't used to this humidity.)  The birds are chirping and the cicadas buzzing and welcoming the morning, I best get moving my morning appointment will be meeting me at Starbucks any minute.

Is your home properly insured from Las Vegas Flooding?
Las Vegas Flood Waters 8/4/2014
So, as I pull out of my garage, I admire how fresh and clean everything looks after the rain. But then I drive just a few block through the community onto the county and city roads and to my surprise there are puddles the size of small swimming pools, rocks and gravel that have eroded and left their well-manicured beds cluttering the streets, and small rivers rushing through the desert landscape, all are a morning wonder and traffic disturbance, yet very typical here in Las Vegas after a soggy evening. Slick roads and flash flooding can cause dangerous situations because the dirt is so compact, water runs off and our gutters and waterways can only support so much. Apparently, according to Clark County reports, “It only takes 6 inches of moving water to sweep someone off their feet and 24 inches to float most vehicles.” So be careful as you drive around town, the radio DJ’s are reporting in some areas, the roads are actually flowing like rivers. I’m a bit luckier in my area today, it’s not that bad.

Photo Credit: www.fox5vegas.com
So what does heavy rains and flooding mean for the average Las Vegas homeowner, besides delays and detours to get to work? Since standard homeowner’s insurance policies don’t cover flooding, it's important to be informed if having the additional protection from the floods will help protect your investment. Your Realtor can direct you to the proper resources and refer you to a qualified insurance agent.  I have provided some helpful links to questions that will be beneficial to be informed about and learn the answers to, so you can do what’s necessary to protect yourself and your home. Knowledge is key…




Las Vegas Water Ways
Las Vegas Water Ways 8/4/2014
Well the birds and cicadas have gone into hiding again; the pitter-patter has started up once more. My client meeting is over, my coffee cup is empty and the clouds are rolling over me. I better get on the phone and call myRealtor to see if I will need that flood insurance referral…












Written by Nickel Lowman
Dave Radcliffe, CFAC, CDPE
The Radcliffe Group of Keller Williams Realty Southwest
702-379-3401
www.daveradcliffevegas.com
www.facebook.com/VegasLuxuryRealEstate

No comments:

Post a Comment